In today’s society there seems to be so many things that people become addicted to: drugs, alcohol, food and even sex to name a few. It seems as if people are more understanding about what can lead a person to drug or alcohol addiction however when it comes to sex addiction it still seems to be that taboo thing that no one wants to talk about.
Sex is something people don’t like to open up about. It feels like the dirty little secret. This also makes it hard for people to understand the nature of sex addiction. Alcohol and drugs aren’t things people need; they want it. People need food. When it comes to sex its human nature to desire it and want it.
Sex addiction is seen as this shameful addiction that violates the moral fiber of society. So it’s harder for people to truly understand it.
What You Need to Know About Sex Addiction
Sex addiction for many is hard to wrap their brain around. So when it comes to sex addiction it’s important to know that like with any other addiction, sex triggers areas of the brain that keeps telling the addict that the destructive behavior is good and should be repeated. So naturally they repeat it.
Addictions can feed off one another. The sex addict may use alcohol or drugs to elevate this high. Yet like with any other addiction, sex addiction isn’t discriminatory. Meaning anyone can be a sex addict in denial. Even someone you know. According to the American Association for Family and Marriage Therapy, there are over 12 million people affected by sex addiction.
Some famous people that have suffered from sex addiction have included:
• Michael Douglas (Actor) – In 1990 Michael Douglas announced that he suffered from a sex addiction.
• Jesse James (TV Host) – Jesse came forward about his sexual addiction after his affair on his then wife, Sandra Bullock made the news.
• Tiger Woods (Golfer) – It was speculated the Woods had a sexual addiction when numerous women came forward to tell about their sexual relations with him.
• Charlie Sheen (Actor) – When Hollywood Madam Heidi Fleiss was arrested, Sheen was one of the many whose indiscretions came to light. Sheen admitted to paying more than $53,000 for the services of prostitutes.
• David Duchovny (Actor) – Married to actress Tea Leoni, Duchovny sought help for sex addiction when his marital infidelity came to light. Through rehab and therapy, Duchovny got the help he needed and helped to save his marriage.
People want to feel loved, wanted and desired and for many, sex does that. Sex also masks pain. Where the problem comes into play is when sex begins to adversely affect your life. No one is just going to stop having sex but there has to a balance; a healthy balance when it comes to sex. A sexual addiction is the cover-up for abuse and trauma. However it is important to remember that when it comes to a sexual addiction you are not alone. There is help out there. The first step is admitting you need help. The rest will come.
Content for Scottsdale Recovery Center and Arizona Addiction Recovery Centers created by Cohn Media, LLC. Passionate and creative writing and broadcasting, covering the following industries: addiction rehab, health care, entertainment, technology and advocate of clear communication, positivity and humanity at its best. www.cohn.media
Talk to Someone Who’s Been There. Talk to Someone Who Can Help. Scottsdale Recovery Center holds the highest accreditation (Joint Commission) and is Arizona’s premier rehab facility since 2007. Call 866.893.6816.